Thursday, October 2, 2008

Zinesters Talking 2008


A couple of weeks ago, I participated in Multnomah Library's Zinesters Talking Series. I was really honored, and a little nervous when they asked me to be one of this year's featured zinesters. I joined Kate Lopresti, creator of Constant Rider as part of their transportation themed night, which was held in the US Bank Room of the Central Library. I asked if I could ride my scooter into the reading, but they mentioned some crazy regulation against bringing in two-wheeled transportation. Oh well, I tried. (above photo) Emily-Jane Dawson, Multnomah County Librarian introducing Kate and I before our readings.

It was my first ever reading and I scored the US Bank Room. Wow! I was nervous, but the library staff helped put me at ease. It really was a fun night. I gave an emotional account of flying to Italy and meeting Maria Borio, owner of Cascina Castlet. I also spoke of how doing 'zines has enriched my life and taken me places I never thought I'd go.(above photo) Here I am holding a bottle of Maria's famous Barbara 'd Asti "scooter wine".

Kate did a great reading from Constant Rider. She's a really poised reader and told some great stories involving Portland's public transportation. I just finished reading about her cross-country train ride home to Wisconsin and loved it.
(above photo) Posing with our beverages of choice for the night.

The library bought some copies of Bumpstart to place in their zine collection. I'm really excited that people will be able to check out copies of my zine from the library very soon. It's great that our library system is so supportive of local independent publishers. Thanks to all the awesome library staff and everyone who showed up for the reading. You made it a memorable night!

No comments: